January 7, 2020 7:43 PM, "Guerlan" <worms....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I undrstand that HVM uses QEMU to emulate some devices and BIOS. However,
> what if I want to have
> total control of QEMU?
>
> What if there's an OS for which there's a QEMU tutorial and I want to do
> exact what is in the
> tutorial but in Qubes?
> Do I need Qemu on dom0? dom0 has qemu-img-xen and qemu-nbd-xen. What are they
> for?
>
> Or does QEMU runs inside xen, not in dom0?

Xen uses QEMU just to emulate virtual hardware devices for HVMs, not for the
actual virtualization. "Normal" Qemu is actually Qemu/KVM, which is not
supported on Xen as far as I know. The next best thing is to create an HVM, see
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/standalone-and-hvm/#installing-an-os-in-an-hvm

qemu-img-xen is used for formatting image files or block devices for VMs.
qemu-nbd-xen is for network block devices, though I'm not sure if/how they're
used in Qubes.