On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 4:29:57 PM UTC-5, Ryan Tate wrote:

> (The one thing that I do wonder is if is neccesary for sys-usb to bail
> out on boot when an assigned device is not present, maybe there could be
> a system for transient but assigned devices to be allowed to come online
> post boot? No idea how feasible this is.)

PCIe attach has to happen at startup, and Xen will fail to start it up if
the named device isn't there.

My suggestion: create a *second* sys-usb style VM (e.g. called "sys-usb-c")
with the "extra" usb pcie device attached and *remember* to have the USB
port populated at boot if you want to use devices from that second device
VM.

The regular sys-usb will always start up for the other ports (regardless of
whether you have a device plugged in or not).

Brendan