On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:40:28PM +0000, 'e.sparks15' via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry that this is a bit long, but I've been working on the problem for
> awhile, and even though I've tried to give the most succinct explanation I
> can of what I've tried so far, it still takes up some space.
>
> I'm attempting to install expressvpn in a qube designated specifically for
> that purpose. When I try to install it manually as per the instructions in
> step two of the [Qubes VPN
> documentation](https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support), but the config
> files I can get from expressvpn don't seem to be in that format. I tried
> using their manual config process instead, but it's for ubuntu, and since I'm
> a total linux newb I wasn't able to figure out how to convert it.
>
> I did get as far with express' config as to get the config files in the right
> place so that I had a vpn connection listed in network manager but it can't
> connect, probably because when i tried 'sudo dnf-install
> network-manager-openvpn-gnome' it always said that
> network-manager-openvpn-gnome was not a valid target. I then contacted
> expressvpn's tech support and they asked me to reboot and try again. When I
> did, I found that everything had disappeared. I found some stuff online about
> a bug on Fedora 24 with non-persistence, but that was awhile ago and it
> doesn't seem to apply.
>
> There are two things I'll add that might be helpful to people smarter than
> me. First, I've been getting the following error on startup since I last
> performed upgrades:

There seems to be something missing here.
Did you not include the text of the error?

> Also, I haven't been able to perform any upgrades since then.

Did you mean in dom0 or in any of your templates?
If you run `sudo qubes-dom0-update` at the terminal in dom0, what is the
output?

> And second, it seems like there are a couple of different places that talk
> about vpn setup. The documentation above, expressvpn's page, and [more Qubes
> documentation](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/). I think I've kept them all
> separate and not done myself in by combining multiple methods, but at this
> point I'm not sure.

In general, it's better to use *one* source, rather
than many, as you are more likely to fall in to error.
I've had a quick look at the expressvpn instructions for Linux. You
havent saud which method you are trying to use, and I see there is a
method for NetworkManager which should carry straight across to the
NetworkManager in Fedora (the default template for sys-net).
If you're not able to complete those instructions please explain at what
step you are getting lost.