On 2/15/20 6:39 AM, General wrote:
Many thanks for your helpful reply Chris.

You also have to configure Qubes not to disable USB at boot time if
your boot drive is USB.

Ah, this is why it was not working for me! I shall try installing the OS
directly onto the USB drive and then make the clones from there. It
occurs that the USB isolation in Qubes is valuable and therefore running
a USB boot drive may not be sensible.

If backup speed is the main issue, take a look at Wyng

I have installed this in Dom0 and made a backup, also using your helpful
instruction:

file: /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/10_root_snapshot.shutdown
```
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/lvremove --noudevsync --force -An qubes_dom0/root-autosnap || true
/usr/sbin/lvcreate --noudevsync --ignoremonitoring -An -kn -pr -s
qubes_dom0/root -n root-autosnap
```

to enable snapshots of the root volume.

Incremental backups are indeed very fast and this is what I was looking
for. I need to build another box to run a test restore procedure.
Perhaps this could be scripted now.

Thanks again.

Glad I could help!

FWIW, the root-autosnap is not strictly necessary since Linux does allow snapshots to be taken of live LVs (e.g. you could point wyng to 'root' and it would make its own snapshot of 'root' while it is live) but I guess the above method is a bit safer.

Since Wyng doesn't yet handle Qubes config for individual VMs, restoring a full Qubes system state with Wyng would require at least restoring Qubes configuration (such as qubes.xml and firewall.xml) but that is covered if you backup/restore the 'root' volume. OTOH, if your Qubes VM settings are default or you made notes about them, then the xml files aren't needed and you can restore the data volumes into freshly created VMs (e.g. after reinstalling Qubes).

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket