I notice that on Ifixit:

The X230 has a WiFi whitelist, so a Lenovo card on the whitelist must be
used. If you do not do this, the laptop will fail with an 1802 POST error.

If you are not happy with the current wireless card, you will need to find
a Lenovo variant of these cards:

   - Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 - FRU 60Y3195
   - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - FRU 60Y3233
   - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - FRU 04W3769 and 60Y3253
   - ThinkPad b/g/n Wireless (1x1 BGN) - FRU 60Y3247 and 60Y3249

I notice that the Insurgo Privacy Beast changes the WiFi to:

WiFi controller: Atheros AR5BHB116 a/b/g/n 300Mbps MINI PCI-E

Is this because the ROM in the Insurgo has been reprogrammed?

Can I change the WiFi .without using the Prom?

Thanks for any replies?