On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 09:17:28AM -0800, Richard Gaylord wrote:
> Been trying to get network connection on Debian template and a clone to get
> network connection.  When I attempt to ping 8.8.8.8 I get: connect: Network
> is unreachable.  Same for ip address on local net assigned by qubes.  When
> I type "ifconfig -a" the reply is: "bash: ifconfig: command not found"
> I've tried sh, to avoid bash, and get "sh: 0: Can't open ifconfig"
>
> I can't update, upgrade or install katoolin, which was my initial objective.
>
> Can anyone please get my Debian templates to get a network connection?
>
> Thanks.

You shouldnt really do this in a template.
They dont have network connection, nor should they for security.
There is a proxy installed which allows you to run standard apt
operations to install software/upgrade.

As a general point, your problem is permissions and path:
user doesnt have \sbin in path, so you have to specify:
`/sbin/ifconfig`
or `su - ifconfig`

unman