On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:02:42PM +0100, A E wrote:

> Thank you for your very quick response.

and thanks for a good/comprehensive reply from you.

> The mobile phone is listed as two devices:
> 1)  sys-usb: sda - Disk ()
> 2)  sys-usb: 1-3 - ..._Mass_Storage_Device_...

this is normal. go with the first one.
thats the actual block device as used with qvm-block
(or upper half of the gui)

> In the file manager of the attached VM under /proc/partitions, I find a
> file that only displays partitions with xvd... I don’t know if the attached
> partitions is some of these.

qvm-block will tell you the name if the device is attached.
in general it will be xvdi for the first blockdevice.

> Any ideas on how to proceed... ?

my guess is just the "mounting it" part is missing.
try "sudo mount /dev/xvdi /mnt" in the vm.
then check the contents of /mnt.

not you also should "sudo unmount /mnt" in the vm and detach the device
though qvm-block (or gui) before unplugging the phone!

there are probably more clicky or even automatic ways to do this,
but i am not familiar with that kind of thing.