unman:
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 07:02:58PM +0000, 'Jackie' via qubes-users wrote:
Ulrich Windl:
Hi!

I'm very much confused with the Qubes OS clipboard:
When trying to copy some text from a Temrinal, I mark the text with the mouse then press
"Ctrl+Shift+C", and I get a confirmation that the text is copied.
However when I try to paste the clipboard in another machine, the contents is
not what I had marked.
When I use the "Edit->Copy" menu in the Terminal after having marked the text, and then
press "Ctrl+Shift+C" again, the correct text is put in the Qubes OS clipboard.
Confusingly the Terminal displays the shortcut "Ctrl+Shift+C" for "Edit->Copy".

Isn't that a highly confusing feature (slowing down productive work a lot IMHO)?

Regards,
Ulrich

Hi,

In general, copying text from one VM to another is a four step process.
Highlight text in VM1 document and ctrl+C to copy to VM1 clipboard. Then
ctrl+shift+C to copy to dom0 clipboard. Then in VM2 window ctrl+shift+V to
copy to VM2 clipboard, then ctrl+V to paste into document.

It's pretty fast once you get used to it, just highlight, ctrl+C,
ctrl+shift+C, alt+tab, ctrl+shift+V, ctrl+V.

Terminal is a special case because ctrl+C, ctrl+V doesn't work to
copy/paste, and default terminal shortcuts are the same as qubes inter-vm
copy/paste shortcuts that take precedence. To paste text into terminal i
ctrl+shift+V like normal to copy into VM clipboard, then edit->paste to
paste into terminal. Or to copy from terminal, highlight, edit->copy, then
ctrl+shift+C to copy to dom0 clipboard.

Actually i think it's possible to change the dom0 shortcut so they no longer
conflict, but the occasional edit->copy or edit->paste in terminal isn't too
inconvenient for me.

Also, it depends (naturally) on *which* terminal you use.
I have little experience with gnome-terminal, which is, I think, what
op is using.
Using xterm or uxterm, mouse selection *does* work to copy, and
Ctrl+Shift+C copies that text to clipboard for transmission to another
qube.
Does gnome-terminal need some extra configuration to enable "selection
by mouse"?

Gnome-terminal is what i use too. Actually i'm able to *select* text with the mouse, the problem is copying it to VM clipboard. The shortcut for copy in gnome-terminal is ctrl+shift+C, which qubes intercepts.

But actually now that i look gnome-terminal allows you to change the shortcut in preferences, so you can change it to whatever you want then use keyboard shortcuts like normal.

Right click->copy and right click->paste also work.