On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 01:03:50PM -0700, drbgw...@gmail.com wrote:
> Pardon my basic understanding, but I probably need someone to serve this up
> to me in a  very easy way.  I haven't asked this question because its so
> basic so maybe I can get a lead here?

I'll take a shot at it.

Let's say you have a VM called 'web' in which you downloaded a file
'template.rpm' which is not stored under
/home/user/Downloads/template.rm in that 'web' VM.

You want to transfer it to dom0.

So in dom0 you will be using a command called qvm-run, which allows you
to run/start programs inside VMs. It has a parameter called --pass-io
which let's you see the output of that program in your dom0 terminal.

You can test this for example with a simple text file. In your 'web' VM
start a terminal and use gedit to create a text file test.txt in your
home directory (/home/user/test.txt). Put some "hello world!" text
inside and safe it / close gedit. Not in your terminal write "cat
/home/user/test.txt" and you will see the contents of that text file in
the terminal.

Next, go to dom0 and open a terminal there. In that terminal write:
"qvm-run --pass-io web 'cat /home/user/test.txt'"

Now you see the context of the text file in your dom0 terminal. The
final step is to add something to the end of this command: "qvm-run
--pass-io web 'cat /home/user/test.txt' > /home/user/test.txt

When you run this, instead of seeing the output in the terminal it is
now written into /home/user/test.txt in dom0! You can verify with "cat
/home/user/test.txt"

I've explained this with a little text file to make it easy to
understand. Back to your /home/user/Downloads/template.rpm in the web
VM. We can use the same mechanism:

qvm-run --pass-io web 'cat /home/user/Downloads/template.rpm' >
/home/user/template.rpm

It'll take a few secondes or maybe even a minute depending on your
computer and the size of the file. But when it's done you know have
successfully copied the template.rpm into dom0 and can now run

sudo dnf install template.rpm

This is all described a bit more brief at
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/copy-from-dom0/

Cheers,
/Sven

--
 public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6