"I haven't found controllers that deliver 5V when flashing"

I agree with this halfway. All the CH341As I've personally seen supply 3.3VCC
out of the box, but 5V logic. All of the schematics I've seen on the internet
show this, so I don't think its just me. The 5V logic levels come from the
CH341A which runs off the USB5V rail and is configured for 5VIO. 3.3VCC comes
from a separate supply LDO. It is dumb, and I've wondered sometimes if the
CH341A was designed to make things worse, though more likely an ad nauseam
repetition of a bad design that is super cheap to produce and easy make a quick
buck.

All the discussions I've seen on the CH341A voltage issues have to do with IO
voltage, not VCC. I wouldn't call the IO voltage issue "garbage". It is a legit
concern, and only Winbond can say differently.

On the X-230, the spec'd max VIH for the Windbond PROM is 3.7V with a 3.3VCC
rail. The datasheet doesn't mention 5V IO tolerance. I don't doubt that 5V
logic will work in many cases, but the real-world limit is set by physics,
process, operating condition, and component skew. For a random PROM in a
sufficiently large distribution of PROMs, we have to assume 5V will damage the
IO, then your system won't boot, and you would have to change the PROM. It is a
dice roll.

(BTW, I'm not addressing the CPU IO. I don't have a schematic or CPU specs to
know what kind of protection is on that end, but one may be risking that as
well.)

The RaPi method works well outt of the box @ 3.3VCC and 3.3V Logic using the
latest Rasperian. One doesn't even need to connect to the internet. Suitable
RaPi are available for $5-$10USD, but that won't give you the Pamona clip. The
cheapest Pamona clip I've seen comes bundled with the CH341 for a few bucks,
which is kind of funny. At least the RaPi can be used for other cool stuff.

I've also read about some people using Arduinos to program BIOS PROMs, though
that seemed like more work than a RaPi.