On 3/29/20 5:16 AM, scurge1tl wrote:

Chris Laprise:
On 3/27/20 5:02 AM, scurge1tl wrote:

Hello all,

I would like to ask about proper setting of AppVM flow if using
Mullvad VPN. I would like to connect to the clearnet following way: Me
- -> Tor -> VPN -> clearnet.

When setting up mullvad in their web page, I set the parameters for
download here https://mullvad.net/en/download/openvpn-config/ in a
following way:
- - All countries (so that I can change my exit country as needed)
- - Port -> TCP 443 (Tor doesn't use UDP, right?)
- - tick Use IP addresses

Using TCP 443 for the connection helps only if you are running the VPN
on top of Tor. With Tor on top of VPN, you're probably better off with UDP.

Would this mean, if I plan to go with Me -> Tor -> VPN -> clarnet, to go
with UDP mullvad settings? Just to clear the "on top of".

To make it less ambiguous:

AppVM -> sys-whonix -> sys-vpn -> sys-net

The above connection is Tor on top of (or inside of) VPN, so UDP can be used for the VPN. If sys-whonix and sys-vpn places were reversed, then VPN should switch to TCP mode.

An easy way to remember this is that the sys-* VM attached to the AppVM is the one the service sees on the other end.

To set the Mullvad VPN AppVM, I followed this guide from micahflee
https://micahflee.com/2019/11/using-mullvad-in-qubes/ The AppVM with
mullvad is vpn-mullvad. All works fine and connects to the network.

How should I connect Me -> Tor -> VPN -> clearnet? Am I right with
this setup (I didn't launch it yet): anon-whonix -> sys-whonix ->
vpn-mullvad -> sys-firewall, or I should use different setup?

Whonix has a guide that examines the issues of combining Tor and a VPN.
However, I think its better as a 'what-if/why' guide than a Howto...

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Connecting_to_a_VPN_before_Tor

Thank you I will check it.

Are there any other steps to follow to prevent leaks?

Yes.

The Qubes-vpn-support project is much easier to setup and should work
more smoothly, in addition to providing better protection against leaks:

https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support

There is also a VPN setup guide on the Qubes doc page (this is the one
the Whonix page links to). FWIW, I wrote the scripts for both but the
idea for Qubes-vpn-support was to automate the setup and improve the
connection handling of Openvpn so re-connection doesn't take 5 minutes.
It also checks the firewall to make sure leak prevention is in place
before initiating connections.

I will try to set the additional AppVM for this and try this guide. What
would be the linking of the AppVMs, if I would like to go Me -> Tor ->
VPN -> clearnet? Is it like anon-whonix -> sys-whonix -> mullvad-AppVM
-> sys-firewall ?

Also I would like to use different exit countries of choice, so I
downloaded all countries from mullvad. Is there any simple way to switch
countries with this VPN settings?

There is no GUI way to do it when using the Qubes scripts. However, if you use the Network Manager method on the Qubes vpn howto, then you can import multiple configs (and cross your fingers that they can make connections :) ).

For a non-GUI solution, you could create a small script that lets you choose which ovpn config to use, and 'cp' or 'ln' that choice to the config filename that the scripts use (then restart the vpn). Some people have used simple random selection without a prompt, like 'ln -s $( ls *ovpn | shuf | head -n1 ) vpn-client.conf'.

Sorry for noob questions, I am new to the VPN stuff, just used Tor only
till now, but I need to use tor-unfriendly services from time to time
and even if it were tor-friendly, ExitNodes {xx} StrictNodes 1 doesn't
work in qubes-whonix and I therefore can't select exit country easily if
I need to. So I need to have the VPN country as a strict exit.

To use Tor-unfriendly services, the service has to see the VPN IP not Tor exit node IP. Therefore...

AppVM -> sys-vpn -> sys-whonix -> sys-net

If you add sys-firewall (or similar proxyVM, as you probably don't want to change sys-firewall netvm setting) in the mix, it just depends on which VM you wish to add 'Qubes firewall' rules to.... it always goes 'to the right of' whichever VM you added rules. In my experience, however, such rules are not required for securing a VPN link; The internal (scripted) rules used by the VPN doc or Qubes-vpn-support handle VPN security rather well. IOW, its better to forget placing sys-firewall in the loop, at least until you're more used to Qubes networking.

Thank you and I will let you know if it works!

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket