On Monday, 11 May 2020 12:08:22 UTC+1, unman wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 02:31:52AM -0700, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > Sorry if I have double-posted this...
> >
> > The link to "multiboot" seems to refer to a conventional dual-boot
> > installation, where the two OSs are on the same disc.  If the OSs were
> > installed n physically separate (internal) drives, would this mitigate
> the
> > risk (accepting that /boot would be exposed)?
> >
> > Probably a naive idea, but is it possible to somhow "switch off" or
> > inactivate one disc (short of physically removing it)?
> >
> > On Monday, 11 May 2020 10:11:47 UTC+1, dhorf-hfr...@hashmail.org wrote:

> > > veracrypt does not support actual full disc encryption.

> from
> > >
> > > if that HDD is connected via USB, i would not recommend installing
> > > qubes to it.
> > > while both "install to usb" and "install to hdd" are supported, they
> > > have major drawbacks.

> > > this is not possible.
> > > if you multiboot, you are very far from "maximum security".

> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/multiboot/
> > >

> Not *double* but *top-posted*. Please don't do this.
>
> It's not a naive idea - it's a good one. Depending on your machine you
> may be able to find ways to do this, by installing a kill switch, or by
> BIOS configuration.
> You may find that your BIOS allows you to disable certain devices pre
> boot, and this may enable you to switch between active disks. Have a
> look.(Depending on what's available this may determine what sort of disk
> you use to install Qubes)
> I have an x230 with some extra hardware switches installed to allow for
> device isolation. With minimal skills you could do the same yourself.
> Take a look at what's already there and have a think about what you
> might manage to do. If it's important enough you'll find a way.

A quick update on this.  I've had a look at the User Manuals for some Dell
laptops (specifically E5470 and M4800) and it seems that it is possible to
deactivate hard drives on an individual basis in BIOS. It is also possible,
again in BIOS, to choose what theWiFi on/off switch actually does - it can
be set to switch off the WWAN card, so if there is a SSD installed there
that could be easily switched off.

I think this could be used to reduce the risk when two OSs are installed on
separate drives in the same machine?

Things were easier in the "old days" of PATA drives - I guess you could
just put a switch in thepower lead to the drive(s)...