You use systems if you use almost any flavor of Linux. The systemd is a process
that controls so many things on a system that some people joke about it being a
second operating system on top of the Linux kernel. The "security hazard" part
comes from the sheer complexity of that code, because it is hard to verify and
audit the a system.

> Just like the old init scripts used to do, systemd basically controls the
> startup, initialization, and then manages many daemons behind the scenes. You
> have to just trust that it is going to do the right thing under any
> particular circumstance.
>

> If a rogue actor changed your configuration it could be difficult to detect
> in some cases. Gaining a persistent foothold on your system would be a common
> goal for an adversary and system gives them several ways to do that.
>

> Qubes however uses a read-only system volume so simply adding extra processes
> to your system is rather difficult to do by using systemd. They really need
> either dom0 or template access to do this.

Steve,

Though this topic did not pertain to me but I just wanted to command you for
your thoughtful response.

Some IT folks can be absolute jerks many times. When someone has a question
they respond with a crude, abrupt, uncalled for attitude. Like: "google it", or
"use the man pages", or emphasizing that this it just a "basic linux" question.
I see that here also sometimes and it really gets under my skin. There is one
specific user doing it often but I won't call out names. All that does it makes
the person not to want to ask questions and feel like a complete idiot.

I just honestly want to thank you for taking the time and responding to this
question in such a postive manner!

Matt