On 7/8/20 4:40 PM, bradbury9 wrote:
Hi,

I have an integrated Intel graphics card and a Nvidia GTX 1080. I want to set the integrated GPU as primary device, and create a windows standalone VM (without qubes tools) for gaming.

My motherboard, don't know why, ignores when I set the integrated card as primary GPU and default to "automatic", so now I am trying to hide the 1080 devices (VGA is 01:00.0 and audio is 01:00.1) so Xen defaults to the Intel graphics card and I could passthrough the NVidia card.

I have googled a bit, and looks like I have to add to /etc/default/grub the following content:

rd.qubes.hide_pci=01:00.0,01:00.1 modprobe=xen-pciback.passthrough=1 xen-pciback.permissive

Problem: I see no /etc/default/grub nor /usr/share/grub/default in dom0...

How can I do the PCI hiding? Is there a sample grub config file anywhere?

Disk is encrypted, what additional steps should I do to get LUKS working after the grub reinstall?

And finally, has anyone got experience with standalone windows VM with GPU attached instalation? Any tips would be appreciated. :-)

1. /etc is on the encrypted disk, so is not available at boot time.
2. You might find some grub files in /boot, if Qubes was installed
   with grub (I don't use grub).  For EFI, look for xen.cfg in
   /boot/efi/EFI....
3. nVidia is fairly antagonistic to virtual machines.  There are
   many stories online about problems making nVidia cards work
   with Qubes.

Best of luck,

   Mike.