Hello! I am looking for guidance in how best to set up my Qubes. I understand
that it's a very personal decision but having a methodology for how to navigate
the tradeoffs with an individual's personal philosophy seems prudent.

I believe that it's best to start with different types of threats that Qubes
may help you protect against. I am not a security expert, so please forgive the
informality of my description here as well as gross errors/omissions.
Corrections are very welcome.

1. Malicious software: A user wishes to reduce the harm/access of malicious
hardware.
Solution: Execute malicious software in a VM only with access to data that the
user is willing to risk.

2. Malicious install script: While install scripts are smaller and easier to
audit, they are typically run as root.
Solution: Install software in standalone VM. Consider that VM compromised from
inception.

3. Tracking based on cookies/ad networks: privacy is undermined because your
behavior is correlated across seemingly unrelated websites you visit.
Solution: Separate VMs (and/or use disposable VMs) for different types of web
browsing. Use a search engine that does not track you.

4. Tracking based on IP.
Solution: Use Whonix/TOR or a VPN. Use a search engine that does not track you.

5. Theft of data from hardware.
Solution: Store in VM without network access. The data may need to be acquired
from a VM with network access, but keeping it at rest on a non-network VM is
still beneficial.

Personally, I find the tracking threats (3 and 4) to be the most challenging to
wrap my head around. Ideally, I would want as much traffic as possible going
through Whonix. And that which can't may want a different VM for each website
visited. While that approach is extreme and onerous both on myself and my
machine's precious resources, I find it difficult to determine where to draw
the line between caution and convenience.

Some questions that might help bring clarity:

- Under what circumstances would I want to use a different VM for my email and
for my financial accounts?
- Under what circumstances would I want to use a different VM for my email and
for my shopping?

Thanks!