I don't use qubes currently, but my 5 cents:
1. missing fonts or incorrect locale settings. Having said that I guess you
may fix this in two ways:
 a) set locale (LC_*, LANG variables) according to your language in shell
files in app VM in bashrc (or in template VM in /etc),
 b) install missing fonts in template VM.
2. Alternatively you may download the non-minimal template VM and use it
instead - minimal VMs may miss fonts for your locale, using non-minimal VM
may help.

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below: