On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 2:33 AM Qubes <qubes...@ak47.co.za> wrote:

> On 7/29/20 1:56 AM, ludwig...@gmail.com wrote:
> > *What if it saves a spare set of encryption keys somewhere in its flash
> for
> > the "lawful investigator" to find?*
>  >
> I am not aware of any proof to support this line of thinking.

In the case of an Opal 2.0 encrypted drive the key is *never* stored on the
device. That is a requirement in oder to meet the defined Opal standard,
and any manufacturer needs to prove that they meet that standard by
submitting to a gauntlet of independently run certification tests. They
can't fake passing these tests.

The key(s) are generated at runtime by combining some internally generated
entropy plus the user supplied 256 bit password. If you reset the drive
then the internal entropy is regenerated as well, so even when having the
users old password one can not dynamically generate the origional
decryption key.

This basically means that if you build in a failsafe mechanism into your
software, to detect tampering, and flip the bits of your key and reset the
drive, that data is not recoverable even when provided the prior password.
Good luck at ever recovering that data even for your own purposes. Your
"lawfull investigator" has no better chance than the KGB at ever
recovering/seeing your data.

For a dead man's kill switch, Just reset the device and force a power down
and that data is no longer recoverable.

If you do not fully reset the device and only powered down, then the data
is only recoverable using the users 256 bit (hopefully randomized)
password. Even then the drives internal logic will add an increasing delay
with each invalid passrord attempt is made thus making even brute forcing
the password completely impractical.

Adding software encryption on top of that hardware layer encryption is a
good belt and suspenders approach if you really don't trust the device
itself to fully protect you.

I had the pleasure of working with one of the origional designers of this
standard, for almost a year while developing some very custom solutions
with these devices. While the first Opal 1.0 devices certainly had some
quirks, I trust the current line of Opal 2.0 SSD Sed devices to keep your
data both safe and confidential.