On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 14:34 +0000, unman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 08:54:23AM -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > The problem is when I change the main TemplateVM and want to apply the
> > change to all existing system volumes.  For example, recently I've
> > migrated some really useful configuration settings (e.g., enabling
> > undo-tree by default in Emacs and setting "merge.conflictstyle = diff3"
> > in Git) from the user volume of my "main" AppVM to my TemplateVM so I
> > would enjoy their benefits in all AppVMs.  If I had multiple
> > TemplateVMs, I would have to somehow copy those changes to all of them.
> >  If I changed a single file, maybe I could write a script that does a
> > bunch of qvm-copy commands.  But if I want to make sure things do not
> > get out of sync over time due to mistakes, it would help to have a
> > management tool of some kind.
>
> Just one word - salt.
> Salt your templates, and you can straightforwardly clone, and configure,
> those templates with one command.
> Using salt also has the benefit that you can sit down at a new machine,
> pull down the salt config and recreate your system. No more wondering if
> you kept track of what was installed, or whether your scripts contain
> all the nice config changes you laboured over.

I thought someone might mention Salt. :)  If you feel like it, to
satisfy my curiosity, can you point me to documentation on how I'd use
Salt to copy a file to all templates?  I'm still more likely to use my
original proposed solution though.

In the long term, I'd indeed like to have a concise script of some kind
 to reproduce all my templates.  It will be a significant amount of
work to find all my customizations and get them into such a script, so
I'm seeking a nearer-term solution for these proprietary apps.  But
while we're on the topic: while mutating templates may be a decent
solution for rapid iteration, how fast could I make the clean
regeneration run?  Is there a reasonable way to generate one template
and then generate the others from it?  Might OSTree be helpful?

Thanks for any insights!

Matt