On 11/27/20 7:08 PM, Steve Coleman wrote:
[...]
1. TV's are often encoded to deliberately export use intelligence data to
be utilized by the advertisers and ratings organizations. The camera and
microphone, if installed, are actually designed and used to watch and
listen to the family watching the programs. Zero privacy, and you may even
have no way to disconnect it, so denying it any network access is your only
hope to stop exfiltration.

Physically disabling the camera and microphone may be an option in some cases. Cameras can be covered, but covering a microphone doesn't do much. I recently got a new smart TV that has a microphone in the remote. Since I never planned to use the voice features, I simply found a sewing needle, inserted it into the mic hole, and used a flat piece of hard plastic on the other end to apply moderate force. There was a single "click" sound. After that, voice commands were no longer recognized by the TV, but the remote and everything else still worked perfectly. Hopefully that's good enough.

By the way, this reminds me of when Joanna removed all the microphones and front camera from her iPhone:

https://twitter.com/rootkovska/status/547496843291410432

--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS