So, a small update: I downloaded the most recent 4.1 alpha ISO from
https://openqa.qubes-os.org hoping that a maybe a newer xen version/linux
kernel would have helped. The installer freezes anyway, and selecting the
verbose mode in the boot menu I get exactly the same message as before
before the black screen. I'm a bit at a loss here, any suggestion is
appreciated!

Fab