***Apologies for cross-posting***

Please distribute as you see fit
Thanks,
Gianluca

----------------------

*Call for papers: Organizing Outside Organizations*
Guest editors:
Barbara Czarniawska - University of Gothenburg
Gianluca Miscione - University College Dublin
Elena Raviola - University of Gothenburg
Rafael Alcadipani da Silveira - EASP-FGV
Emre Tarim - Lancaster University

We have been studying formal organizations for at least a century, if not
longer, and there is not much that we do not know about them. A recent
phenomenon – the digital transformation of contemporary organizations – has
also attracted much attention, and great many studies were done, with
interesting results. But digitalization opened also wide doors to
organizing outside, oftentimes in spite of, and against, formal
organizations. How do people organize demonstrations in Belarus, in Poland,
or, for that matter, how do The Proud Boys do it in the USA?  Indeed, there
is no need for an a priori moral evaluation, although a posteriori one is
always welcome. We simply need to know more about such informal organizing,
which was always present, but now has become widespread thanks to
globalization and digitalization. After all, it is connecting collective
actions, or “doings” to one another, which is the main trait of organizing.
Organizations are legal units; a “network” can exist, yet do nothing; in
order to accomplish anything, good or bad, “doings” are necessary, and they
have to be coordinated, connected, and stabilized – temporarily or for
good. So, to use Bruno Latour's (2013) vocabulary, how are scripts written
and dispatching performed, or in that of Annemarie Mol (2010), how is
ordering (aligning) and coordination done,  in informal organizing?

In this Special Issue we invite all texts based on studies that can throw
some light on the phenomenon of organizing outside organizations – both
fieldwork and culture studies are welcome.

More details here:
https://www.puntoorginternationaljournal.org/index.php/PIJ/announcement/view/9
 (and
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/call-papers-organizing-outside-organizations-gianluca-miscione