Hi there

I've been using Qubes for about 18 months now, and it's great. My only
complaint is the poor battery life I get. I've followed various
recommendations within qubes-users about using powertop and tlp, but
nothing seems to address the rapid decline in power I experience when
running on battery.

Some system information:

Kernel Version     Linux version 5.4.88-1.qubes.x86_64
System Name     PurismLibrem 15 v44.0 (Pureboot)
CPU Information     2 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
OS Information     Qubes release 4.0 (R4.0)

Probably the biggest clue I have received was from running tlp stat, which
suggests:

"Reconfigure your Linux kernel with PM_RUNTIME=y to reduce your laptop's
power consumption."

This seems to be reinforced by the following output from powertop:

Untunable Software Issues
Description
I2C Adapter i2c-3 has no runtime power management
I2C Adapter i2c-4 has no runtime power management

Optimal Tuned Software Settings
Description
NMI watchdog should be turned off
Enable SATA link power management for host0
Enable SATA link power management for host1
Enable Audio codec power management
Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-1 (i915 gmbus dpb)
Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-2 (i915 gmbus dpd)
Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-0 (i915 gmbus dpc)
Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-5 (SMBus I801 adapter at efa0)
Runtime PM for PCI Device Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device a808
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th
Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem
Runtime PM for PCI Device Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Device 9d24
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Device 9d30
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core
Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Device 9d4e
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal
subsystem
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI
Controller
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5
/ 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express
Root Port #5
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA
Controller [AHCI mode]
Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express
Root Port #9

Looking at
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel/blob/master/config-base, I
can see CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME is absent from the config. I'm willing to try
recompiling the Linux kernel for Qubes with PM_RUNTIME=y, but my
understanding is that I would need to set up a VM running Fedora 25. Before
I head down that rabbit hole, I wanted to ask if anyone had experienced
similar problems and tried this solution. Further, is there a reason that
flag is not currently included in the base config?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan