unman:
On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 01:25:57PM +0000, 'taran1s' via qubes-users wrote:

unman:
On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 01:59:10PM +0000, 'taran1s' via qubes-users wrote:
How do I use the X230+Qubes 4.0 with external monitor of at least 1080p or
higher? I understand that a dock station (Ultrabase?) is required to be able
to use the HiDPI external monitor with X230.

What smallest dock station would you propose for this purpose? Is there
possibly some other, more portable way, to get X230 to use HiDPI external
monitor?

You don't need a dock for this - the x230 supports 1920x1200 through HDMI
and 2560x1600 through the DisplayPort.
Of course, a dock is always nice.

This is really interesting and thank you a tone for this information. I dont
see the HDMI output from my X230 but there seem to be a Mini Displayport.
Very nice.

You can also mod the x230 with a board and updated panel to get 1080p on
a larger IPS panel - very portable and a real boost to the x230.

Can you please elaborate more on this? What kind of board and updated panel
is it? I didn't know that X230 can be modded to have 1080p IPS display at
all. This would possibly solve most need to have external display for simple
media.

There are a number of boards you can use - imo the best is from
nitrocaster  - nitrocaster.me/store
They all work in the same way - you solder the board on the motherboard
and "steal" output from the dock. With some minor modification to the
screen enclosure you can fit a really nice 1080p IPS panel to the x230.

There are a number of people who will do this for you, if you doubt
your soldering skills. If you didnt already have an x230 you can also buy
x230 premodded, but that's no use to you. :-(

Thank you!