On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 11:47:50PM +0200, 'qtpie' via qubes-users wrote:
> I have a very annoying issue with DNS recently. I'm using the standard DNS
> device and servers provided by my internetprovider which runs a full
> dual-stack IPv4/6. Other non-qubes devices have no issues. I think this
> might be a Qubes bug but I want to ask for help first to rule out an error
> on my side.
>
> Selected domainnames (all subdomains, eg www.qubes.org, so not qubes.org)
> get a SERVFAIL when trying to resolve them within applications, and on the
> commandline with 'host' and 'nslookup'. Strangely enough, 'dig' has no
> issues, (querying the same default resolver ip of course). At times, the
> domainname will resolve inside sys-net and certain app-vm's, and not in
> another app-vm. At other times, it resolves nowhere. When quering resolvers
> directly (like my isp's resolvers or 1.1.1.1) the issue does not occur.
>
> What can be happening here? One of the only consistent hints I found is that
> Qubes does not seem to pass the full nslookup response from sys-net to the
> appvm (compare nslookup examples below). My router gives a servfail when
> quering it via ipv4, nslookup then tries it's ipv6 address, where it does
> get a reply, but this reply is not passed to the appvm. The servfail might
> be an ipv6 issue or an issue with my router, but I think still Qubes should
> pass the full response, right?

Do you have ipv6 enabled across every part of the Qubes networking
chain?

Just to be clear - this is an intermittent issue, intermittent in time
and as it affects qubes?
The fact that dig has no issues is interesting - can you test dig with
IPv4 and IPv6 separately?
Do you see the same behaviour if you set the resolver in sys-net to use
9.9.9.9?