On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 06:07:59PM +0000, Michael Singer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 04:50:29PM +0700, unman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:35:42PM +0000, Michael Singer wrote:
>

> >> Would you let my Qube, which is supposed to connect to only one IP address
> >> on
> >> the internet, be based on an extra firewall-vm? Would that more secure?
>
> > You could do this: it would have one particular advantage, in that you
> > could set custom rules in sys-net to restrict access from that
> > sys-firewall to the specified IP address.
>
> Do you have an example of the command line commands you use to set such
> custom rules in an ordinary debian or fedora sys-net?

Qubes uses NAT, so sys-net sees all traffic coming from the IP address
of sys-firewall.
If you new fw has IP - 10.137.0.200
And target is 195.10.223.181

`nft insert rule filter FORWARD index 1 ip saddr  10.137.0.200 ip daddr
195.10.223.181 tcp dport https accept`
`nft insert rule filter FORWARD index 2 ip saddr  10.137.0.200 drop`

Would do it.
Adjust for your case, of course

> >> In the Qube settings for the services there is the service
> >> "disable-default-route". I have not found anything about what it does. In
> >> my
> >> case, would it be better to leave it on or turn it off?
>
> > man qvm-service - this service will remove the default gateway entry. So
> > a qube would be able to access immediate neighbours but not step beyond.
> > It's not what you want here.
>
> What are the immediate neighbors of a qube?

Qubes that are connected - the netvm, or a qube for which *this* is the
netvm.

> Can both a qube using the default route and a qube with the
> disable-default-route service turned on access its immediate neighbors, or
> only a qube with the disable-default-route service turned on?

You can always access immediate neighbours, but will have to adjust the
default firewall rules.
Look at
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/#enabling-networking-between-two-qubes

> In what situation is it useful for a qube to be able to access its immediate
> neighbors?

Explained on that page: most useful is file exchange with no Qubes
tools installed, but also for testing network code, new pgp or ssh
keys, etc.