Original message bounced ... joined qubes-users -> trying again

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: able mylo stone <mylost...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 6:14 PM
Subject: HCL - Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3, model 20TK001HUS
To: <qubes-users@googlegroups.com>

TL;DR: After upgrading to 4.1 (inplace upgrade) almost everything
seems resolved with the exception of the onboard microphone (a plug-in
headphone/mic does work).

Thanks!

Qubes is the best.

Mylo

A few notes:

  I first installed 4.0.x on this box, and I was having significant issues:

* with the display just being kinda random:ie
    * sometimes black screen after bootup [could still switch to
vconsole with Ctrl-Alt-F2]
      - it didn't seem to matter much whether BIOS settings were
"Hybrid" or "Discrete"
    * sometimes wouldn't return from screenlock (xscreensaver) ... I
could switch to vconsole and restart lightdm to get the graphics back
[side note: it was very cool that my existing X session was still
alive after logging in]
    * external monitor very iffy but would sometimes work with
specific resolutions and refresh rates [HDMI, 4k]

* with suspend ... just didn't work at all

* onboard mic-wouldnt work

[probably some other stuff I'm not remembering]

P.S. The actual original install was done on another box that got
crushed in an accident. It was a System76 Oryx Pro (oryp4). Pretty
much everything worked perfectly on that box, with the exception of
the suspend/resume. I don't think they sell that model anymore.

  In a drawn out and slightly harrowing process, I was able to recover
the mvne drive from the crushed oryx and image it onto the lenovo
mvne. This was a bit involved because of encryption, differing disk
sizes and etc. The real process was "install 4.0.x on lenovo: ->
"bluntly rsync -a --delete /old/drive/ /new/drive/ over the top of the
new drive" -> "change disk UUIDs in xen.cfg, fstab, [?crypttab,
etc.??]" -> <iterate> -> joy