"solved". Ugly, but works. Via a .desktop in ~/.config/autostart. The
trick was to not run xmodmap immediately, but to delay it: sleep 2;
xmodmap /home/user/...

For the record:
~/.config/autostart/xmodmap.desktop:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=xmodmap
Exec=/home/user/.config/xmodmap.sh
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

~/.config/xmodmap.sh:
sleep 2; xmodmap /home/user/.config/xmodmap

~/.config/xmodmap:
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 9 = Caps_Lock
keycode 66 = Escape
add Lock = Caps_Lock

Also added to /etc/skel/ of the templates for future vms and dispvms.

--
Gabriel