Perhaps my search terms are just out of whack, but I have had a good
look around and I cannot find a system wide location for
`~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf` that controls the Style and Icon Theme for
example.

It's easy to find.

1. Me: Do you know a system-wide file for ~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf?
ChatGPT: Yes, the system-wide configuration file for
~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf is typically located at
/etc/xdg/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf. This file contains the default settings for the
Qt5 Configuration Tool and is used as a fallback configuration file if no
user-specific configuration is found.

Note that the location of the system-wide configuration file may vary
depending on your specific Linux distribution or operating system. You can
use the locate or find command to search for the file on your system.

2. Verify by Google by searching "/etc/xdg/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf" (including
quotes). It seems that this location is real.

Even more frustrating I cannot
find a list of the environment variables that I can potentially use. I
only know of the `QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct` which I currently use and
`QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=` [3][4] which you can set to either `adwaita` or
`kvantum` However there may be an environment variable one can use to
set the path to the `qt5ct.conf`, but such a list alludes me.

1. Look where it is used:
sudo grep -rl QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME /usr
/usr/share/doc/qgnomeplatform-qt6/README.md
/usr/share/doc/gnupg2/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/qgnomeplatform-qt5/README.md
/usr/lib64/libQt5Gui.so.5.15.9
/usr/lib64/libQt6Gui.so.6.4.3

2. Look in the binary:
strings /usr/lib64/libQt6Gui.so.6.4.3 | grep '^QT_'

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'