On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:20:17 -0700
Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

>Dear Qubes Community,
>
>The Fedora Project has
>[announced](https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/annou...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/4GXBZJSGQ2PEKIBM2APCTLXBS6IDKSOP/)
> that Fedora 36 will reach EOL
>([end-of-life](https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life)) on 2023-05-16. We
>strongly recommend that all users
>[upgrade](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora/#upgrading) their
>Fedora templates and standalones to [Fedora
>37](https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2023/03/03/fedora-37-templates-available/)
>no later than 2023-05-16.
>
>We provide fresh Fedora 37 template packages through the official Qubes
>repositories, which you can install in dom0 by following the standard
>[installation
>instructions](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora/#installing).
>Alternatively, we also provide step-by-step instructions for [performing an
>in-place
>upgrade](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora/in-place-upgrade/) of
>an existing Fedora template. After upgrading your templates, please remember
>to [switch all qubes that were using the old template to use the new
>one](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/#switching).
>
>For a complete list of template releases that are supported for your specific
>Qubes release, see our [supported template
>releases](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/supported-releases/#templates).
>
>Please note that no user action is required regarding the OS version in dom0.
>For details, please see our [note on dom0 and
>EOL](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/supported-releases/#note-on-dom0-and-eol).
>

>This announcement is also available on the Qubes website:
>https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2023/05/11/fedora-36-reaches-eol-on-2023-05-16/

Wonderful warning.  Nothing like advance notice.  :/

Following the procedure here...

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora/in-place-upgrade/

It kind of works, but there is an issue.

Trying to attach the cache space image gets the error that it is not "exposed"
so I had to work around it.  Perhaps due to the fact that I don't use LVM on my
machine...and the install put the bulk of the available storage in
/var/lib/qubes, which is NOT exposed.  I don't wish to add the additional layer
of LVM complication to an already encrypted system.

I have a 700gb image I used to contain a 600gb image where I collect files for
archive purposes.  I mount the 700gb image in dom0 at a mount point in /mnt,
and create the cache image in that space to attach to which ever Qube I desire.
 After doing the losetup, I use the device menu to attach it to the Qube.  This
works.

Since I have modified the fedora-36 template to add claws-mail, gimp and
dosbox-x (I use an old editor that requires it to be usable), it is best to
upgrade in place after clone.  I have two fedora-36 templates...one with no
modifications and one with the aforementioned software additions.  The
unmodified one is used by sys-net, sys-firewall and such.

Qubes 4.1 with Xfce desktop, Lenovo w540.

Stuart