I had updated the Whonix Workstation 17 successfully, but a System Check suggested that there are updates outstanding, so I tried another round:

Unfortunately there was an odd error:

Get:20 tor+https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports/main amd64 Packages T-2024-03-12-0211.22-F-2024-02-23-1408.06.pdiff [19.4 kB]
Ign:18 https://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.2/vm bookworm InRelease
Ign:18 https://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.2/vm bookworm InRelease
Err:18 https://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.2/vm bookworm InRelease
  Something wicked happened resolving 'deb.qubes-os.org:https' (-4 - Non-recoverable failure in name resolution)
Fetched 566 kB in 15s (37.2 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
E: Failed to fetch https://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.2/vm/dists/bookworm/InRelease Something wicked happened resolving 'deb.qubes-os.org:https' (-4 - Non-recoverable failure in name resolution) E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
zsh: exit 100   upgrade-nonroot

When retrying after a while, it worked!