Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> Keeping a room at a constant temperature might actually be easier
> than the other thing you could do - not run *any* other services
> on the computer. No cron at 3am. (Alternatively, make it run at 100%
> CPU always. Perhaps [EMAIL PROTECTED] would be _good_ for stability.)

I used to do something like the following:

I did not want setiathome to cause my server (which sits in a badly
ventilated closet) to overheat. So I had written a C program that
monitored the rate of the CPU fan (which is regulated by the CPU itself)
and throttled the setiathome process (by sending it SIGSTOP/SIGCONT
signals).

The result was that the setiathome process kept the server at a constant
temperature (and the CPU fan at around 3000 rpm).

This ceased to work when the setiathome project changed their
architecture, causing the work to be done by a load of sub-processes
rather than the one I knew the pid of. So I dropped setiathome altogether.

I haven't kept stats, but the clock now looks less stable (frantic
attempt at remaining on-topic).

Cheers, Jan