Hello all,

The Department of Computer Science of the University of Melbourne has for
many years hosted the stratum 1 NTP server at ntp.cs.mu.oz.au. This service
is heavily used, with requests coming from all corners of the world; it
responds to approximately 500 requests per second on average.

This service will be discontinued from 01 January 2010. We no longer have
the capability (budget and manpower) to maintain the service in its current
state, and rather than letting it degrade and fail, we're bringing it down
in a controlled manner.

We kindly ask that anyone who perchance maintains a publicly available list
of NTP servers remove ntp.cs.mu.oz.au and related servers (ntp0, ntp1,
ntp2) from that list. We are doing our best to locate maintainers of
high-profile lists to get the servers unlisted. A similar request is made
of anyone who ships software that includes these servers in a list of
possible synchronisation targets. Also, of course, if you manage systems
that sync with these servers, we ask that you start using a different
system. We atrongly recommend using the services of pool.ntp.org.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-Wilson
--
Wilson Roberto Afonso                  wafo...@unimelb.edu.au
Systems Administrator                         +61 3 8344 1271