>I would have hoped that the pool folk kept their documentation up-to-date,
>so I'll post that on their list.  You didn't mention how to control the
>number of servers uses - is it just multiple "pool" entries?

You only need one pool command.
  pool <server-name>
will use as many addresses from server-name as it needs.
If it doesn't get enough with the first DNS lookup, it will try
again in a minute or so, and keep trying until it gets enough.

The default is to collect 10 servers.
If you don't like that, you need to add something like:
  tos maxclock 5

Using more than one pool command might be interesting if
the names are in different administrative domains.  If one is broken,
the other might work.

If you use more than one pool command, ntpd takes the answers
from whichever DNS server answers first.

I think it will drop servers that don't work and get new ones
to replace them.