It seems that the types of different variables are stored in a
table, and "offset" has type FL. Latter on, there is a block of
code like this:

                                           case FL:
                                               output(fp, name,
                                                      lfptoms(&lfp, 3));
                                               break;
                                           case FU:
                                               output(fp, name,
ulfptoms(&lfp, 3));
                                               break;
                                           case FS:
                                               output(fp, name,
                                                      lfptoms(&lfp, 3));
                                               break;

Here, the lfptoms()/ulfptoms() functions convert NTP's internal
fixed point format into a string. I think that the 3 is the number
of significant figures. You can change these, but it seems that
the control messages are such that they only have 3 significant
figures included in them.

David.

Thanks, David. Those don't seem to be in ntpq.c (at least 4.2.7p134), so no wonder I couldn't find them. But if the control messages are limited to microseconds, this problem is deeper than I first thought. I suppose that's saving on bandwidth by a few bytes?

Cheers,
David T