"unruh" <un...@invalid.ca> wrote in message news:dG5ar.18461$pc1.11...@newsfe11.iad...
[]
No confusion. I understood completely. Ron had a machine on GPS which
ran away. You got a report of a 1 sec slippage. The question is whether
or not a 1 sec slippage in the GPS could trigger a runaway on a machine
which also had LOCL as a server.

OK.

I simply do not believe that the GPS
sudenly went wild and delivered time at a rate 1000 times the UTC rate.

It seems unlikely.

Something on his system triggered and instability, and all he had
running was a GPS and the LOCL server. Now, usually the machine would
take the GPS signal and it certainly could not engage in that kind of
runaway behaviour. It could however engage in something like a 1 sec
slippage. How could that trigger an instability?

I would regard a system which was not at least somewhat protected against failure of a GPS device as not being correctly configured. Perhaps the NTP simulator could be used to predict behaviour in the case you suggest, but I have no experience with that tool.