On 5/24/2013 5:56 AM, David Lord wrote:
Riccardo Castellani wrote:
If I have 3 internal NTP servers, what do you think if my clients have
all these 3 servers in their configuration ?
According to '5.3.2. Why should I have more than one clock?' in
'http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo-real.htm#Q-NTP-ALGO

I read 2 servers, it's worst case, but also 3...

My four pool servers each have 5 x internet sources
(= 20 different internet sources) and 2 x local peers,
there are also local sources with MSF and GPS.

There is an explanation of the selection algorithm in
the ntpd documentation as to why having only 2 and 3
sources can give problems. That sets 4 as minimum and
5 for safety.

I've had internet outages where half the sources have
become unreachable.

David

The internet is far from the best source of time!  A lot of time is
spent trying to make sense of all the noise!

A gadget whose name I can't remember will lock onto three earth satellites and give you time to plus/minus 50 nano seconds. Very few
people need to slice time that fine!