On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceule...@computer.org>wrote:

> But I wonder what an active "connection" is in this context, since NTP
> sits atop UDP.

These are IP based not TCP/IP.

> Do the load balancers track whether an association has
> been mobilised

They could although the packet inspection code on devices like this (I'm
not familiar with the CAI boxes) tends toward HTTP not NTP.

> , and if so do they ensure that a particular client is
> always served by the same server, at least if the poll interval is
> reasonable?

That seems unlikely.

But we know that the major problems are congestion (which load balancing is
fixing) and weak system clocks.  Presumably a bit of care would cause the
inside-NIST-errors to be swamped by the outside-NIST-errors.

And in fact the point of the paper is using PTP with the end result that
the intra-farm "errors" should (it's four years later maybe they are) be in
the nano-seconds.