On -10.01.-28163 20:59, Rob wrote:
> What I mean is that for building packages they need not only building
> tools but also -dev packages for many libraries that are going to be
> used by the packages being built.  There is a long list of packages that
> one is supposed to install before even attempting to build a single
> package from source, and then the particular package adds more requirements.
> This timepps.h file is just one tiny little file between many other
> .h .a and .so files.

Ah, I see. So there actually are *three* areas of "installed software"
on a build system that need to be properly set up: The stuff that makes
the build machine itself (architecture A) run, the packages that you
want it to produce (for architecture B), and the source/devel packages
that those latter need only *during compilation*.

FWIW, you might find this open Debian bug interesting:

It does not only state the problem, but also lists the proper technical
term (Build-Depend) and an e-mail address to (supposedly) poke the
actual package maintainers through. (And IIRC Debian is the upstream for
a fair *lot* of distribs.)

But, for sake of completeness: While the Build-Depend needs to point to
whichever package contains timepps.h, the question of whether that file
*belongs* there is, I gather, rather irrelevant for ntp package brewmasters.

Regards,
                                                                J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel