Is there any way, in the ACTS refclock driver, to specify the speed at which
the modem's serial port should be opened?

The source code (ntpd 4.2.7p475) appears to use a hard-coded speed of 19,200
bits/sec (ntpd/refclock_acts.c, line 138).  I was unable to connect to the
NIST time service at all -- the service picked up the line, but I heard a lot
of chaotic noise (suggesting a futile attempt to negotiate a connection) until
the driver eventually timed out and hung up.

I can connect without any problems at all, however, if I dial up manually
(using "cu -s 1200 -l /dev/acts0").

I changed B19200 to B1200 in the ACTS driver, and the resulting ntpd was able
to connect and get valid time info from NIST.  But I'd prefer a solution, if
at all possible, that doesn't require changing the source code.  Any thoughts?

Rich Wales
ri...@richw.org