I am experimenting with chrony 1.31 as an alternative on some PPS
synchronized servers.   It appears to run OK, it is tracking very nicely:

Reference ID    : 80.80.83.48 (PPS0)
Stratum         : 1
Ref time (UTC)  : Sun Feb 15 22:34:01 2015
System time     : 0.000000076 seconds fast of NTP time
Last offset     : +0.000000085 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.000000751 seconds
Frequency       : 10.014 ppm slow
Residual freq   : -0.004 ppm
Skew            : 0.042 ppm
Root delay      : 0.000000 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000017 seconds
Update interval : 16.0 seconds
Leap status     : Normal

However, it does not reply to NTP requests from other systems with ntpd.
(I can confirm that in a network trace)

The config includes:

allow   0/0

I have also tried other allow lines, like allow 192.168.42.0/24 for the
subnet it is on.  No difference.

I added:

local stratum 10

because it appeared to be in an example.  no difference.

Is there a magic command that has to be in the config to make it work
as a server?

Configuration:

driftfile               /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
logdir                  /var/log/ntpstats
log                     statistics measurements tracking tempcomp
local stratum           10
makestep                10 3
refclock                PPS /dev/pps0
server 192.168.42.1     iburst