On Aug 2, 2015, at 2:31 AM, Mike Cook <michael.c...@sfr.fr> wrote:
>  Can anyone confirm that this is an issue?
>
> I habitually put an burst directive in my ntp.conf server statements. ex:
>
>  server 129.6.15.30 noselect iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6
>  server 128.138.140.44 noselect iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6
>  server 98.175.203.200 noselect iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6
>
> But in the case of these NIST servers, sometimes they never get out of INIT
> state.

iburst isn't usually a problem, but minpoll 4 / maxpoll 6 would be
considered abusive without prior arrangements.  minpoll 6 is the fastest
rate you should query other NTP servers without explicit permission.

To be more specific, folks who implement per-client firewall rate rules
tend to block clients who exceed ~100 packets per hour.

The main point of iburst is to quickly get a downed NTP server back up
and serving valid time.  That matters most for isolated stratum-2+
servers; if you've already got S1 timesources available and multiple
redundant NTP servers locally, using iburst is superfluous.

Sure, use iburst on one remote server entry if you want and/or against
all of the other NTP peers on your local subnet, but it's not obviously
helpful to use iburst everywhere.

Regards,
--
-Chuck