On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 03:32:51PM -0800, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 1:41:10 AM UTC-7, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > On 2016-09-05, a...@ntppool.org <a...@ntppool.org> wrote:
> > > restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> > > restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> >
> > I think this line shouldn't be necessary as restrict default specified
> > without -4 and -6 should apply to both.
>
> Ok, thank you. Is that the case for older versions of ntpd, too? There's
> obviously a bit of cargo cult going on here, I appreciate the help getting to
> an actual best practices recommendation. :-/

I think the last version that needed that -6 line was 4.2.4.

> For Martin's comment about kod and limited:
>
> I'm not sure if 'limited' works on a reasonably busy NTP server (hundreds to
> a few thousand queries a second) and I don't think anyone has shown that KoD
> packets does something useful for a meaningful number of the "bad clients",
> so I should probably just take 'kod' out.

Makes sense to me.

> > How many servers should the client use at the same time? The default
> > value of tos maxclock is 10, so it would use 10 servers. That seems a
> > bit excessive. If it should be equivalent to the current recommendation,
> > the config would need to include
> >
> >     tos maxclock 4
>
> How does that work if the client is dual-stack? I'd like to avoid the client
> (sometimes) just getting IPv6 if it's dual-stack.

That probably won't work. If the client selects only IPv6 addresses
from all addresses the name has resolved too, I think it will replace
them with IPv4 addresses only when they are unreachable.

> > Would it make sense to use 2.pool.ntp.org in the config instead of
> > 0.pool.ntp.org in order to get IPv6 addresses?
>
> My plan is to make the "bare" name have IPv6 soon. I've also been planning to
> change it to have explicit "I'm an SNTP client" vs "I'm an NTP client" names
> though.

The difference being that SNTP clients resolve the name before each
NTP query? I'm not sure if all SNTP clients do that.

--
Miroslav Lichvar