Quoting "Potter, Timothy           CCS" <timothy.pot...@kiddeus.com>:
I have a laptop running a version of Linux ( 3.12 ). I have ntpd installed and configured to sync with time.google.com. The problem I am having is if I am plugged into a network that only provides an IPV4 address, ntp's dns is using the ipv6 address:
:
Now, if I force ntpd to use only ipv4 DNS with the -4 option, everything works fine
:
But I don't want to do this because if I go to a network that only gives ipv6 addresses this will fail. Is there a way to configure ntp to only use ipv4 ( or ipv6 ) if my interface actually has an ip address in that family?

What about using the pool option instead of the server option for the time.google.com hostname?
http://doc.ntp.org/current-stable/discover.html#pool

ntpd will automatically replace sources that it can't reach.