William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-06-23, Jim Pennino <j...@gonzo.specsol.net> wrote:
>>
>> As for the USB GPS I was testing, it is called a VK-162 G-Mouse
>> available from Amazon for $14, uses the Windows 10 native driver so it
>> works with Meinberg ntp, and keeps the time within single digit
>> milliseconds without any other servers.
>
> Looks like a nice cheap receiver-- no PPS I assume so that accuracy,
> after correction for the NMEA delay is probably in the 10s of ms, not
> their claimed microsecond. But certainly for most people ms is more than
> enough accuracy.

Correct, no PPS.

>From short term (day or so) testing looking at peerstats data:

Samples: 3914
Avg offset: -0.00190137
Std dev:    0.00921412

ntpq typically shows offset and jitter at about 1 and the satellites in
view are usually 14 or more with the puck in a window sill.

That is from a linux PC where there are more tools for testing things.

The reason I bought it is that it is advertised to work with the Windows
native USB driver, which produces a virtual com port, which makes it
usable with Meinberg ntp without any other drivers or software.

I have yet to do any Windows testing other than to verify it does work,
but I see no reason why Windows would be much different.