Raymond, I find it easier to first select all tracks using the arrow
keys, then demarcate the part of the song I want to delete & delete it
that way.

In terms of your 2nd question, I'd select the part of the song I wanna
keep, copy it, start a new song, & paste it in. Again, remember to
select the tracks u want.

--
Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit