back to the same argument i posted a few weeks back. its true that qws
makes editing  easier, but not necessarily better at working with midi
(especially regarding regular, standard midi markers and when you have
a few bars of a time change to odd time signatures like 5/8), nor does
it allow you to select all notes with same pitch (useful when working
with drumkits for example)--yes you can use the note split but that is
a bit of an extra step, but anyway

I think I have been able to do everything I wish with midi using
reaper. This also includes things like the modal transpositoin tool,
editing of single notes, their pitch position and velocity, Sometimes
its more involved but its just as possible, even sighted folks find
the curve a bit steep but its worth it, quantization is a bit more
sensible and humanization is better, its just a matter of creating a
workflow.
Regarding setting qws as an external editor
from the manual:
"You can specify up to two third party programs (such as Adobe
Audition, Audacity, Wavosaur or Sound Forge) which you wish to
integrate with REAPER for editing your media items. To do this:
1. Choose the Options, Preferences command, then External Editors.
2. Click on the Add button
3. Use the Browse buttons (shown right) to identify and select your
preferred wave editor or editors.
4. Click on OK, then OK to close the Preferences window.
Notice that you can specify different editors for different file
types, e.g. WAV, or MP3.
To use your external wave editor:
There are two main ways you can access your preferred external editing
program from within REAPER:
Select the media item and press Ctrl Alt E.
Within a REAPER project, right click over the media item that you wish
to edit. From the menu, choose either Open Items in editor then, from
the sub-menu, select either the option to open the item itself or to
open a copy of the item.
Unlike versions of REAPER earlier than 4.0, by default double-clicking
on an audio media item will no longer open it with your primary
editor. This behavior can be changed thru the Preferences, Editing
Behavior, Mouse Modifiers page if you wish. This topic is covered in
Chapter 15.
If the external editor works destructively on your files then the
safer option is to open a copy. This copy will then be inserted into
your track when you save it, close the editor and return to REAPER."

this action is bound by default to control shift E. SO you can select
your midi item you want to edit, then press that and reaper will open
a copy, then save it in qws and when you close qws it will be shown as
a new take .