Hello.
To answer your question, VST’s and sound fonts are two completely different
things.  VST’s are what are known as plug-ins; you would load them into a DAW
or an independent host such as VST host, and they can serve as software
instruments, software effects, or in some cases both.  In some instances, like
with native instruments Kontakt, they can serve as a means for loading in A
wide selection of instruments.
Sound fonts, on the other hand, are files used for sample playback; some of
them contain only one instrument, some of them contain one instrument with
multiple presets, and some contain hundreds of instruments and hundreds of
presets. Sound fonts require a sample player to work, such as cool soft virtual
midi synth, synth font, or even a VST plug-in like Forzando; excuse me if I’ve
misspelled the last one.
As confusing as this may be, the good news is that both can be used with QWS.
The easiest way to load in sound fonts with QWS is to use coolsoft virtual midi
synth, found here:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth
Once you have downloaded and installed this, the next step is to get some sound
fonts. There are a variety of different places you can get them, but here is
one that I found to be most useful:
http://www.synthfont.com/links_to_soundfonts.html
As far as VST instrument, there is an article on the QWS website that goes
through the steps on how to use VST plug-ins with QWS.
Hope this helps.

God bless!
Seth