----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Reis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 12:57 PM
Subject: TP Msg. #684 WE NEED HUMANITIES LABS

"My curiosity about this hypothetical English
professor's reaction began after a discussion
with my father, a professor emeritus in physics
at the University of California at Santa Barbara.
As we chatted about my work as a dissertation and
tenure coach, he expressed shock when I recounted
how graduate students in English could go a month
or more with no contact with their advisor. He
estimated that his students usually saw him
daily, and never went for more than a week
without interaction with him, except when he was
traveling. As he quizzed me more and more about
the grad student experience in humanities
departments, it became more and more clear to me
that there is a deep divide."

* * * * *
TOMORROW'S PROFESSOR(SM) MAILING LIST
         desk-top faculty development one hundred times a year

Over 25,500 subscribers
Over 650 postings
Over 650 academic institutions
Over 100 countries

       Sponsored by
        THE STANFORD UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING
http://ctl.stanford.edu

            An archive of all past postings (with
a two week delay) can be found at:

http://ctl.stanford.edu/Tomprof/index.shtml

* * * * *

Folks:

The posting below looks at the need for greater
communication among graduate students and between
graduate students and advisors, particularly in
the humanities.  It is by academic career coach,
Dr. Gina Hiatt (
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) and it
appeared in the October 26, 2005 issue of INSIDE
HIGHER EDUCATION
(
http://www.insidehighered.com/).  © Copyright
2005 Inside Higher Ed, reprinted with permission.

Regards,

Rick Reis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
UP NEXT: Building the Teaching Commons

    Tomorrow's Graduate Students and Postdocs

1,172 words

              WE NEED HUMANITIES LABS

By Gina Hiatt
"Solitude vivifies; isolation kills."
-Joseph Roux, Meditations of a Parish Priest, 1886

I wonder how an English professor would feel
spending a week in a physics lab. Not about the
scientific work, but about the frequent, ongoing
interaction between students and peers, post-docs
and faculty. Scientists see each other in the
lab, if not daily, then at least weekly. They
have frequent lab meetings, colloquia and
interaction with scholars at other universities
around joint research. During my graduate
training in psychology at McGill University,
especially in the research lab at the Montreal
Neurological Institute, I spent hours hanging
around the post-docs. I learned at least as much
from them as I did from my interactions with my
professors. The expectation was that I would be
at the lab 9 to 5 or more, every day. I saw my
adviser every day.

My curiosity about this hypothetical English
professor's reaction began after a discussion
with my father, a professor emeritus in physics
at the University of California at Santa Barbara.
As we chatted about my work as a dissertation and
tenure coach, he expressed shock when I recounted
how graduate students in English could go a month
or more with no contact with their advisor. He
estimated that his students usually saw him
daily, and never went for more than a week
without interaction with him, except when he was
traveling. As he quizzed me more and more about
the grad student experience in humanities
departments, it became more and more clear to me
that there is a deep divide.

In the humanities, outside of the classroom, this
kind of easy and even semi-formal interaction is
rare. The isolation for the grad student begins
in earnest when the coursework is finished and
the qualifying exams are completed. The fledgling
ABD is nudged out of the nest, left to fly solo
for long periods. The luckiest students have
advisors who are mentors and insist on frequent
meetings, which increase accountability and allow
the student to learn how to think in a scholarly
manner. The large majority, however, are left to
flounder, some of them working as adjuncts far
from the institution where they are trying to
finish a Ph.D.

The students whose advisers organize monthly
dissertation meetings get some help with the
isolation. These meetings usually involve prior
submission of one's work, with a presentation and
then feedback from peers and one's advisor during
the meeting. The opportunity to present one's own
work may come up only once every few months. For
many grad students, most writing is accomplished
in the days preceding submission of their work. I
believe that these meetings are too infrequent
and too formal to make up for the absence of
ongoing interaction with other scholars.

Beyond these dissertation meetings, scholarly
dialogue with peers or advisers is sporadic in
most departments outside the sciences. In many
cases, the adviser's expectation is that the
student will request a meeting when the student
is ready. Thus begins one of the vicious cycles
of graduate school. The student, working in a
void, measures himself against what he imagines
his peers are doing. Often he finds himself
lacking, and feels ashamed. So he puts off the
meeting with his adviser. This increases his
isolation and sense of inadequacy. He feels that
he is floundering and going in circles. Without
encouragement and deadlines, such students can
languish for months, and even years.

As a dissertation coach, I've worked with many
such students. The luckier ones are early in the
process and not yet consumed with self-loathing
and shame. Others have been at it for years and
feel terrible about themselves. It is noteworthy
that 80-90 percent of the calls I receive for
dissertation coaching are from students in the
humanities, social sciences or education - all
fields less likely to have a lab environment. The
rest are writing their dissertation away from
their university and find it difficult to work in
that void.
Conferences and conventions offer important
opportunities for scholarly dialogue, as do
online blogs. However, there are limitations to
conferences (too infrequent) and blogs. What I am
advocating is injecting into the humanities
department some of the freewheeling dialogue
found in the halls outside the conference
presentation or in some of the better scholarly
blogs.

Why is there such a difference between the hard
sciences and the humanities? An obvious reason is
that science is best done in groups, due to the
availability of expensive equipment and the need
for collaboration to make elaborate projects
work. Second, science is funded largely by
grants, which contain within them the need for
accountability. The person in charge of the grant
will make darn sure that neither time nor money
is being wasted, by frequently checking in with
those doing the research and writing.

Barton Kunstler, who wrote "The Hothouse Effect:
Time Proven Strategies of History's Most Creative
Groups," in Futures Research Quarterly, argues
that organizations can grow into "creative
hothouses," much as Ancient Athens or Renaissance
Florence. If humanities departments were to
proceed as outlined by Kunstler, they would go
beyond counting their peer-reviewed publications,
and move into creating lasting legacies and
nurturing breakthrough thinking. Kunstler
identifies the attributes of organizations likely
to spawn such changes, including the following:
"workers immerse themselves in others' ideas and
work, absorbing creative influences," and "mentor
relationships abound." Clearly, it would benefit
all the members of such a department, not just
the struggling graduate students, to create an
atmosphere that "spawns 'geniuses'" and "stands
at the center of a wider cultural movement."

How will such changes occur in actual practice?
Certainly there is not a need for more
departmental meetings. Kunstler suggests that you
"reevaluate the basic assumptions and methods of
your discipline," and "challenge your most
treasured paradigms." Those at the higher levels
can begin by modeling the behavior they would
like to see in others - proposing informal
discussions, sharing work with colleagues,
discussing publishing with faculty from other
departments, and seeking out a grad student or
two to bounce ideas off of. If every professor
advising graduate students made it a point to
have a substantive conversation with one of his
or her ABD's a day, the picture for many grad
students would change radically.

I suggest that graduate students begin at the
grassroots level. They should suggest weekly
meetings to peers, with the only agenda being the
discussion of work in progress at an informal
level. If they are geographically scattered, they
can meet by phone - there are free conference
lines available. In my coaching groups there is a
high level of closeness and support, even though
none of these people have met in person. People
should be encouraged to attend with partly formed
thoughts, poorly written paragraphs, or just an
idea they want to develop. The idea is to think
of all such scholarly dialogue as a laboratory.
Ideas are cooked up, thrown in the test tube, and
mixed with human interaction, creativity and
motivation. These experiments will produce better
written and less painfully produced dissertations
or publications, and might engender a "creative
humanities hothouse."

Gina Hiatt is a clinical psychologist and
dissertation and tenure coach. She is the founder
of Academic Ladder. Her blog is AcademiBlog.

* * * * * * * *
NOTE: Anyone can SUBSCRIBE to the Tomorrows-Professor Mailing List by
addressing an e-mail message to:
<
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Do NOT put anything in the SUBJECT line but in the body of the message  type:

subscribe tomorrows-professor
To UNSUBSCRIBE to the Tomorrows-Professor send the following e-mail
message
to: <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

unsubscribe tomorrows-professor