--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

A couple of thoughts:

(1) The channel RODBC is an S3 object, thus there's no proper S4 class
associated with it.  From  ?setOldClass:

    Register an old-style (a.k.a. `S3') class as a formally defined
    class. The 'Classes' argument is the character vector used as the
    'class' attribute; in particular, if there is more than one
    string,  old-style class inheritance is mimicked.  Registering via
    'setOldClass' allows S3 classes to appear  in method signatures,
    and as a slot in an S4 class if a prototype is included.

(2) This question may be more appropriate for r-devel?

HTH,

--
David

Hi - I tried to get some answer before but there seems to have no one response.
My question is that I have a class like below definition:

setClass("DBManager",
   representation(channel="RODBC"))

My purpose of the conn slot is to hold a channel to database connection which
is returned by a command like:

channel <- odbcConnect("DB", uid="user", pwd="password")

According to RODBC documentation, this channel is supposed to have a type of "RODBC".
However, if I declare my class as above, R will complain that it does not know about
"RODBC" type or class. Please clarify. Thank you.

- adschai

--- End Message ---