On 30 Jul 2008, at 17:58, Simon Urbanek wrote:

On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:35 , Ernest Turro wrote:

On 30 Jul 2008, at 15:18, Kjell Konis wrote:

I found this in Writing R Extensions:

"Using C++ iostreams, as in this example, is best avoided. There is no guarantee that the output will appear in the R console, and indeed it will not on the R for Windows console. Use R code or the C entry points (see Printing) for all I/O if at all possible."

That is, use Rprintf() instead. The fact that your code works with one version of gcc and not another can probably be chalked up to coincidence.

The doc warns that the output to stdout using iostreams may not appear on the console, there is no indication that doing this may crash R (and this has never happened to me before). Certainly, the use of file streams (fstreams) should work just fine.

FWIW I saw this problem when using mismatching compilers before (long time ago when we had to use FSF-built gcc because of bugs in Apple's gcc). Its likely cause is a combination of incompatible ABIs and libstdc++ mismatch. Note that Apple's gcc build script goes into great pains to not mess up system stdc++ because it's asking for trouble.

Yes, this sounds like the most likely culprit. I guess, ultimately, Macports GCC maintainers should make sure their build script goes through the same hoops as Apple's to avoid this kind of mismatch problem with libstdc++. The best thing would be for the R port to depend on Apple-supplied gcc rather than the Macports gcc.

Cheers
Ernest

Cheers,
Simon